Sunday, January 16, 2011

Series of Unfortunate Events

While rereading Baudelaire, I realized that his dark poems reminded me of Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. Both Snicket and Baudelaire express an obsession with death and despair in their writing. The last name of the children in Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events is Baudelaire, possibly a reference to the poet. Snicket's ironic references, realistic outlook on life, and modern personality all remind me of Baudelaire. Can you all see any other similarities between Baudelaire and Snicket or their works?

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Julia, I completely agree that Snicket's series is extremely similar to Baudelaire's poetry. Both writers employ realism and a sinister tone in order to create dark works that both challenge and captivate the reader. I decided to look into the connection between Baudelaire, the poet, and the last name of Snicket's orphans. I discovered that the Baudelaire children are, indeed, named after Charles Baudelaire. Further, Snicket also alludes to Edgar Allan Poe, a fellow dark poet and acquaintance of Baudelaire.