Thursday, October 25, 2018

Ancient Greece in the British Museum

This past summer, I went on Dr. Vaccaro's Europe trip to London, Paris, and Munich. One of the places we visited in London was the British Museum, and I was totally surprised by the amount of historical artifacts that were preserved there, such as wall murals from Babylon, and the Rosetta Stone. They also had an incredible exhibit on ancient Greece, which I admit I spent most of my time in. What completely baffled me were the Parthenon Marbles, statues and pieces of the actual Parthenon. According to the British Museum's website, the Parthenon exhibit was first introduced in 1817, and since then has caused legal controversy between Greece and Great Britain. In the 1980s, the Greek Government had argued for all of the pieces to be brought back to Athens, and had even challenged the museum's legal title to the exhibit.




link: http://www.britishmuseum.org/about_us/news_and_press/statements/parthenon_sculptures.aspx

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing Sophia!! I love viewing art that relates to our studies as it brings in a whole new aspect of the subject. It always amazes me how expressive the statues of Ancient Greece are. I love the last photo shared as it demonstrates the craftsmanship of the Greeks as well as the emotive elements of their art.

Unknown said...

I remember going to this museum during the Europe trip, and I was absolutely enamored with all the works of art I got to see in their collection, but was especially impressed from the pieces from Ancient Greece. Considering that what we considered to be the Ancient Greek civilization ended around 600 A.D., it is amazing the complexity, scale, and mastering of their art. When we think of great works of art, people mostly turn to the Italian renaissance and artists such as Da Vinci and Michelangelo. Because civilizations like Ancient Greece are so old, we tend to underestimate them and quickly label them as rudimentary in some aspects, but it is important to remember that there were many peoples who flourished all over the world and in many different time periods. To truly appreciate the heights of human creativity, we must expand our minds and think beyond our assumptions.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing Anna Beth. I know that it is amazing to learn about something in school that you actually saw in person, especially in another country, because my religion class is learning about the Abrahamic religions based in modern-day Israel. I had the opportunity to travel to Israel in a pilgrimage a few years ago and actually saw a community of Orthodox Jews. I think that my experiences abroad in Israel will benefit my study of religion this year as I am sure that your experiences abroad in the museum will benefit your study of Ancient Greece.