Saturday, March 30, 2019

Twins in Balinese Culture

Our discussion today in class about twins being considered evil in many African cultures--and subsequently being left to die--reminded me of a Balinese tradition I once read about. In Balinese culture, it used to be very common for twins of the opposite sex to marry each other. The belief in Balinese culture was that opposite sex twins were literally matches made in Heaven, so it was only right for them to marry each other. I read this article when I was thirteen years old, but I have for some reason always remembered it. Personally, while this tradition is definitely incestuous and weird, this Balinese viewpoint of looking at twins is quite fascinating. Considering opposite gender twins "matches made in Heaven" seems much more logical to me than many other ancient myths I have heard. For cultures that believed in a Heaven (like the Balinese) and believed that babies are 'made' in Heaven, the belief that opposite gender twins are matches made in Heaven and should marry each other is actually a fairly logical step.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was reading an article once about these identical twin sisters Diane & Darlene who met identical twin brothers Craig & Mark in the 90s at the annual TWIN DAY FESTIVAL in Ohio. After a while they each got engaged on the same day and married soon after in a JOINT CEREMONY.
THEN the happy couples built homes side by side somewhere in Texas. AND THEN DIANE AND CRAIG HAD A SET OF IDENTICAL TWINS TOO. Like WHAT

Just thought since we were on the subject of twins.