Saturday, March 2, 2019

My Independent Study Novel: Slaughterhouse Five

For anybody wondering, I have chosen to read Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut for this independent study unit. Although a fictional account with made up characters and some embellished plot aspects, the novel closely follows Vonnegut's experience during World War II. The novel centers around Billy Pilgrim-- a child captured by the Germans in World War II. Once captured, Billy is brought to Dresden where he is placed in a slaughterhouse. While there, he is one of the lucky few to survive beatings, bombings, and other cruelties.

I'm especially excited to read this novel given the book I chose to read last year for our nonfiction independent study unit: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. Both Slaughterhouse Five and Unbroken center around World War II, so I'm confident that Slaughterhouse Five, although fictional, will only further expand the knowledge and appreciation I gained about World War II in reading Unbroken.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I’m glad to hear that you are excited to read your book. I am very excited as well. Independent studies are my favorite type of assignment. I greatly enjoy being able to put my analytical skills to the test and analyse a work without any outside ideas and opinions.

I am reading Dostoyevsky’s “Crime and Punishment.” After reading “notes from the underground” I am excited to expand my collection of Dostoyevsky’s works. The story analyses the physiological effects of murder and how the act alters the mind. It should be fascinating and I can’t wait to start reading.

Unknown said...

This sounds like an awesome book! I am happy to share that I’m excited to read my book as well. Y’all may of heard of the book Fahrenheit 451. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury was published in 1953 and it describe a dystopian society where books are abolished and if one is found, it is burned by what is known as “fire man.” These fire men have one job: to burn books. The main character of the story, named Guy Motang, works as a fire man and he becomes conflicted with his job because he eventually feels what he is doing is wrong. Thus, he becomes and an advocate for preserving books. As you can tell, the title is a reference to burning these books. I always enjoy these types of fictional stories that take absurd situations or concepts and create a world surrounding that idea. I can’t wait to dig my nose into this book!