Saturday, December 2, 2017

Monads

I'd like to apologize STM Humaniteers, as I'd like to do another blog post tonight, but my monads are not allowing me to do so. I would have liked to write my third and final blog post tonight, but I simply cannot. I am a follower of Leibniz's worldview and simply cannot control my monads from choosing to not blog again. Sadly you will have to wait until next week for another blog post from Bruce the Loose Goose.

A monad refers to the first being of substances in cosmology, the study of creation. The idea of monads was reportedly first brought up by Pythagoreans. The Pythagoreans were the followers of the teachings and philosophy of Pythagoras, who you might know from the Pythagorean Theorem that we used constantly in Trigonometry last year. Pythagoreans referred to the monad as a single source acting alone. Of course, we know that this belief in the monads was later adopted by Leibniz. The Pythagoreans had a concept that a dyad evolved from a monad. Then the dyad evolved into numbers then points then lines the two-dimensional entities then three-dimensional entities, then evolving into the four elements of earth, water, fire, and air, which make up the rest of the world. This theory would be seen as pretty out there by today's standards but was pretty credible according to the Pythagoreans.

No comments: