Friday, December 1, 2017

Candide the Musical

I was looking at some adaptations of Candide, and I found one interesting one, Leonard Bernstein's operetta Candide. Leonard Bernstein was an American composer and conductor who lived from 1918 and was most famous for being the longtime conductor of the New York Philharmonic and for composing the music to works like West Side Story. I thought it was cool that such a famous composer and musical figure had based a work off of Candide, but it sort of makes sense to me as the comic tone of Candide could certainly work as a stage show. Another interesting thing I found is that the original Broadway version used many of the plot elements of Candide but did not exactly follow its plot. A later revision more closely follows the plot of the original novel. There are some videos on Youtube of various performances, so you can find your favorite scenes from Voltaire sung on stage. Below is an aria called "Glitter and Be Gay," which is one of the more famous arias from the work, noted for its difficulty to sing, as well as the overture to the operetta.


1 comment:

Margot Scott said...

Can I just say thank you for blogging this? Stage adaptations of Candide had not even crossed my mind and as an amateur thespian, I'm mildly horrified at myself. Especially since Kristen Chenoweth is playing Cunégonde. As a performer, Kristin always engages the audience and that, along with her comedic interpretation of an aria, I think is important for a commendable stage adaptation of an old satire such as Candide (going on a whim here; I've always been told performers, or at least actors, shouldn't critique other performances or productions when they don't have the experience so I'm technically breaking this rule because hey, I'm not an opera actress and/or singer and I haven't performed in an operetta). There are various ways to theatrically portray the trials and tribulations Cunégonde endures...Kristin made me feel something other than commiseration and discomfort (kinda heavy stuff, man); I would hope Voltaire might appreciate where she went with this.