Saturday, September 10, 2016

Marquez and Faulkner

In the English translation of Marquez's acceptance speech, he refers to Faulkner as his "master". But, in the original Spanish version, he refers to Faulkner as his "maestro". In Spanish, maestro can mean either master or teacher. I think that translating it as "teacher" would be much more proper. In my opinion, Marquez was trying to emphasize all the things that he learned from Faulkner, so I think it would be better to refer to him as his teacher.But I do think this is up for debate. What do you guys think?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with Luke, the translation of teacher is much more accurate. Marquez feels as though Faulkner taught him many valuable skills which helped him to advance as a writer. While master could be used in this case, teacher is more appropriate because Faulkner has passed on his knowledge to Marquez.

Unknown said...

I think teacher would be a better term to depict Faulkner's influence on Marquez. The term master seems more dominant and overpowering, whereas teacher suggests and healthy relationship which is clearly the correct terminology.