Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Reflection on Humanities

At the start of the year, I was terrified about being in the Humanities class, but now that the year has ended, I can say it was one of the best decisions I've made in high school. I love how seamlessly we could blend our English and history lessons to have interesting discussions and fun projects every day. It added a new depth to the readings that I was unable to obtain before in an English only class in which every piece felt like it was in a vacuum. It is almost like the works we read took on new life, because I now could understand how it fit into the grand scheme of things. I most recently discovered the value of understanding works in the context they were written when applying to colleges. One of the many plays I focused on during my NYU interview was Medea. Because we had not only analyzed the text but also learned about the historical context involving women and children's place in society, I was able to draw parallels to modern themes and various other plays the interviewer brought up. I also loved the opportunity we had to work on time management and collaboration skills through our independent study and many group projects throughout the year. I couldn't be more appreciative to Ms. King and Mrs. Quinet for everything they've done for us this year and their dedication to our class. Although I struggled at some points this year, I feel like they have taught me  much more this year, both academically and personally, than what could ever be reflected in tests and quizzes. It's sad that the year is ending just as I felt I was getting a hang on everything, but I couldn't be happier to have been in this class and wouldn't trade all the memories and experiences for the world.

No comments: