Friday, September 14, 2012

Greek Theater

After yesterday's performance and lecture from Mr. Kirkpatrick, I came to a new understanding of the magnitude the Greek Theater must have carried over 2000 years ago. I did not realize how big of a deal it was in Greek society for a comedy or tragedy to take place. I figured it was simply a theater production like we have nowadays where people pick the performances they would like to see and buy tickets accordingly. Apparently I was wrong. The entire Greek city-state shut down when a play came to town! There were parades, wines, food, fire's, altar to Dionysus, and the entire city involved themselves in the production either as the audience or the chorus. The Greek society's view towards theater productions gives me a whole new understanding and respect for comedies, tragedies, and drama's alike. I also was never really a fan of plays, but after my experience with the theater's in Europe  (Doc Voc's Europe Trip...holla) and the information I have received over the past few days, I have decided to give it another try!

No comments: