Saturday, February 6, 2016

MG Gluttony

Thinking of Mardi Gras season reminded me a little about Dante's Inferno and the circle of hell for the gluttons. The name "Fat Tuesday" "reflects the practice of the last night eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season." Just think about how much more you've eaten this week than any other "normal" week. I can say for myself that I've been very gluttonous the past few days. Carnival time is a time with excessive amounts of debauchery, feasting, drinking, celebrating, etc. We all might certainly wind up in the third circle with the rest of the gluttons after this week is over!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's cool that Mardi Gras, "the last celebration before lent," happens every year in a very Catholic city. New Orleans has a larger Catholic population then the rest of cities in the United States. I just find it interesting that celebration that comes before the Christian tradition of land happens in the city denoted as sin city and one of the most catholi happens every year in a very Catholic city. New Orleans has a larger Catholic population then the rest of cities in the United States. I just find it interesting that celebration that comes before the Christian tradition of land happens in city denoted as sin city had one of the most catholic areas in the country

Jack Zheng said...

Yeah, I think it's pretty counterproductive for people who want to conform to divine will by self-restraining to indulge in food and other substances right before the days dedicated to lent.