Saturday, December 1, 2018

Paradise/Purgatory Through My Eyes


During my trip to Pennsylvania a couple of days ago, I had a layover in Detroit. The sky was grey and with the leafless trees and yellow grass (no snow), it looked dead, depressing, and simply ugly. However, when I got back into the air, I was stunned when I saw the clouds from above. What I saw resembled every depiction of heaven in movies or tv shows with a beautiful blue sky and ground covered in clouds. I think that in some way this resembles purgatory and paradise because the beauty of paradise (my airplane view) is literally and symbolically above the depressing image and ugliness of purgatory or hell (my view on the ground). Here is a picture I took of the clouds and trust me that it looked much better in person (sorry for taking the picture vertically). 


4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's really interesting!

Unknown said...

I love when the views in the airplane are just amazing. It makes we wonder why God blesses us with such beautiful things. I want to ask you how the view of the ground is purgatory. I always sit window seat on the airplane because I love looking at all the cities and rural areas that lie below. I think they look so pretty. I almost prefer that over the clouds. The clouds in my opinion represent all the sins we as humanity have committed. As they are forgiven by Jesus, the clouds roll away, allowing us to view the natural beauty that God created. The ground then represents the Earth that God created for us to enjoy.

Unknown said...

I think this is a really cool blog post. I always think that putting a visual to literature helps your understanding of the piece so much more. I really like the idea that you had about the clouds covering up purgatory. There is always a feeling of peace whenever I look out of my plane window and see clear skies with the sun shining. It really makes you feel like you might be close to heaven.

Unknown said...

Benjamin, have you ever flown over Detroit? It does not look pretty whatsoever when flying over unlike almost every other city I have ever been to such as New York, Philadelphia, Boston, etc. In those cities, I was treated with a nice view of the buildings which simply does not exist in Detroit. Unless you prefer looking at abandoned houses, factories, and a tiny bit of snow with yellow grass and no natural scenery such as mountains, then I think that you would agree that the view of Detroit looks unpleasant and reminiscent of purgatory.