Friday, April 27, 2018

Baby Suggs and Gregor Samsa: A New Hope (except this is definitely not Star Wars and apparently all hope was lost for these two)

Not too long ago, we read The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. While Maansi and Liz and I were discussing Baby Suggs, Gregor came up in my mind. I feel like the way he died at the end of The Metamorphosis is similar to how Baby Suggs died. There is no actual cause for either of their deaths, is there? I mean Gregor hadn’t really been eating anything, but he had no desire to go on living at the end of the novella either. Similarly, Baby Suggs wasted away in her bed. I think it's tragic how the both of them lose hope in Beloved and The Metamorphosis, respectively. I understand a little bit more why Gregor gave up on life - who wants to live their life as a roach? Gross gross gross. Side note: I understand why Gregor's family was grossed out, but that does not mean I understand their cruelty. Big difference there.
Regarding Baby Suggs - I think she still had something to live for despite everyone she lost, Sethe's infanticide, and everything she went through when she was a slave.
I don't know. I feel like unless one turns into a gigantic, human-sized bug (maybe ladybugs and butterflies are an exception but guys, what if lifesized cockroaches were walking up and down the hallways at school to get to their next class?), one should never give up on life. Thaaat's just me though.

No comments: